Monday, April 27, 2009

April Daring Bakers- O.M.G.

Ok, I'll admit it- I'm wasn't a HUGE cheesecake fan. I'd eat it if I was in a certain mood, but I didn't go out of my way to order it for dessert if we were out at dinner. This makes it a bit funny when my family makes special requests for my double-layer pumpkin pie cheesecake at Thanksgiving, because they always look at me funny when I say I don't want any. lol

Thanks to our brilliant host, my entire outlook on cheesecake has changed. The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge. And boy what a choice it was.

Creamy. Sweet. Slightly tangy. Perfectly smooth on top. This recipe has completely converted me to the "dark side". It took massive amounts of will power to not eat half of the pan for breakfast.

Although, we did enjoy a generous portion for breakfast anyway. :-D

The texture was amazing. I chose simple flavors, since I wasn't feeling particularly creative and I wasn't a cheesecake person. I used an extra tsp. of vanilla extract and Kahlua for my liquer choice, and the slight coffee flavor blended well with my chocolate cookie crust.

As a side note, I tried to "wing it" and make an Oreo crust, which I've never done before. Too many cookies with not enough butter quickly turned into too much butter with not enough cookie crumbs. I now have a container with roughly 3 cups of Oreo/butter/cocoa powder liquid sitting on my counter until I can figure out something to do with it.

Make sure to check out other Daring Bakers' blogs for wildly creative twists, both savoury and sweet, on this incredible recipe. And definitely visit Jenny Bakes for the recipe. You won't regret it!

9 comments:

Ramya Kiran said...

They look perfect. I bet they taste great with the coffee flavored chocolate crumb. good job!

teafactory said...

wow, your cheesecake looks great! well done!

Abbey T. said...

So another convert, eh? Awesome! I'm the Abbey behind the recipe, and am so glad to have converted another to my way of (cheesecake) thinking. ;-) I've had so many people come up to me over the years with almost the exact same reaction: "I'm not a cheesecake person... but this is really good!" lol

I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe and hope you get a chance to make it again sometime. And try one of the flavor variations! My personal favorite is the lavender-scented with blueberries...

Lis said...

Right now I'm wishing I had a piece of your cheesecake for breakfast. It sounds just perfect for a nutricious breakfast. hee!

Okay.. so.. ya gotta tell me, I'm dyin' over here - who is that lil scrumptious furry face on your sidebar and your Daring Kitchen icon and what's his/her name??? I can't stand the cuteness! :)

xoxo

Tia said...

Thanks guys! :)

Lis- That little furball is my "son", Toby. lol He's a total ham for the camera, so I have a million pictures of him in past posts.

jen said...

Even though I'm the only cheesecake eater in my house,(so guess who is eating her way through this challenge?), your cheesecake only makes me want to try some of yours now. It looks fabulous! A scritch under the chin to Toby too - he's adorable.

Chantal said...

Your crust looks very chocolatey and delicious

lisamichele said...

Although I'm not a coffee lover, your cheesecake looks delectable and perfect..I'd eat the whole thing. coffee in the crust or not! Well done!

Jenny said...

It looks delicious. And I'm laughing that you are now converted to the dark side. :) Thanks for being a part of the April Daring Baker's Challenge!

Jenny of JennyBakes