Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulet!

Or as my friends and family back in Louisiana are saying, "Let the good times roll!"

I'm sure most people know that today is Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, a celebration of indulgence before the beginning of Lent. While I may not be in the warmer climate and I may not be able to partake in the festivities on Bourbon and Canal Street, but I celebrated in my own way... with a homemade King Cake!

A displaced Louisianian friend tried out this recipe yesterday and told me about the success she had with it, after having had King Cake disasters in the past. Trying to repress memories of the only other King Cake I've ever tried to make (which was the driest, hardest ring of baked dough ever, and made me wildly upset), I set out to make this brioche ring.

Let me remind you of how dedicated I am to keeping with authenticity- I walked in the rain, 30 minutes there and back, just to get the coloured sugars. I know I could have made my own, but I'm not that talented. lol

My only tweaks were that I used orange zest instead of lemon, and I had no pecans on hand, so I just made double the filling from the second link. A tip: if you can't find cane syrup, my suggestion would be to use 1/2 corn syrup and 1/2 honey. I suppose you could use all honey but I don't know if the viscosity would be the same. Oh, and I used less liquid for the glaze that what was called for, because I like thicker glaze, and the original version was a little thin for my tastes.

For the cake and glaze, Emeril's recipes are absolutely fantastic (I'm sure his cream cheese filling is just as tasty, I just wasn't in the mood for cream cheese today). For a simple filling, NOLA Cuisine has a fantastic one, and it tastes exactly how I remember King Cake filling tastes like.

5 comments:

Allison said...

You did a fantastic job! That walk in the rain was totally worth it. :-) I think your King Cake is gorgeous.

Jennifer said...

Great King Cake! I made one last week too for Mardi Gras here :)

Suzy said...

Great King Cake. I had to take the same homesickness cure! Come see mine.

Suzy said...

Thanks for the visit..hey I forgot to say. I have a little puppy guy almost just like yours! My husbands from BC (Vernon).

Alli said...

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see this - my family is from New Orleans and I'm living up in New York City now, and boy do I miss that King Cake, along with the beignets and crawfish bisque. Wish I'd seen this in time to make it for Mardi Gras. Thanks so much!