Sunday, December 7, 2008

Recharging for Finals

**Please bear with me, as I'm trying out a new html code for expandable links! :)
I had one of the hardest finals I've ever had in my entire college career yesterday. I studied so hard for it, my brain felt like it was ready to just quit, and let me live the rest of my life in a padded room with a coloring book and crayons.

So, naturally, the morning after such a huge exam, there's no rest. There's still work to be done, in the form of a paper and 2 more exams. I decided a good, Christmas-y themed breakfast was in order. First I have to introduce you to one of my favorite fruits in the world, the wee little sugar mandarin. They're so small and miniature, and have such a concentrated mandarin-orange flavor, but they're insanely sweet at the same time. Note, the sugar mandarin has wondered out of its native habitat of my local Persian store and found its way to my pale, always-cold hand.

Isn't that the cutest little fruit you've ever seen?! I almost can't eat it... Almost...

But this poor lost fellow went quite well with my Christmas-themed french toast and a handful of walnuts for breakfast. The french toast is a recipe that my mother has always used, and I know it's not exactly original but I love to do my own twists on it sometimes. This morning I decided I wanted to use mostly eggnog instead of milk! I don't usually use syrup or powdered sugar on my french toast, and you'll see why when you read the recipe. :)

French Toast: Christmas season-style

9 slices of whole wheat bread (Texas toast size thickness- or you can use whatever your favorite bread for french toast is)
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
4 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. milk
1/3 c. eggnog
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
dash of salt

1. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in the bottom of a wide, shallow bowl. Add the eggs, and whisk together with cinnamon and sugar
3. Whisk in the vanilla, eggnog, milk and salt.
4. Dredge each slice of bread in the batter- I tend to like the middle of my french toast soft with the outside crisp, so I let each side soak the batter in for about 10-15 seconds.
5. Place coated bread in skillet and cook on each side for roughly 2 minutes.
6. Remove from skillet and inhale like the hungry morning monster you know you are. Or maybe that's just me.

You might be thinking, why sugar mandarins and walnuts with a Christmas-y type french toast? Well, mandarins always seem to be in abundance in December, and I'm always lucky enough to find these wee little sugar mandarins in my local Persian stores at the same time. And really, I can't be the only one who used to get a gigantic mandarin in the bottom of my Christmas stocking (aka my dad's clean tube sock because our stockings were only for decoration).

And walnuts... well protein is how you stay full longer, right? And what better way than with walnuts, that also have a wildly high amount of Omega-3 fatty acids? I can use all the Omega-3's I can get, considering the amount of information I have to try to cram into my brain for this week. Besides, Hubs is not a fan of fish at all, and walnuts are the only way I can get him to have protein in the morning, and Omega-3's at all. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds sooo very good!