Monday, December 22, 2008
Since it's getting closer to Christmas, I've been thinking of what to do for my pup. Hubs is easy to buy for, in-laws are a bit harder, but the pup? He's pickier than a teenage girl on a budget! He won't eat certain foods if they're not chicken-flavored... he refuses to chew things if they're "too" hard.
Well, I stumbled upon Sugarlaws' blog a couple of months ago. Lo and behold, she's also a dog owner... after reading her entry about homemade dog treats , I knew exactly what I wanted to do for my little guy.
Homemade Peanut Butter and Cheddar Puppy Treats! (adapted from Sugarlaws)
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 c. skim milk
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In one bowl, mix together peanut butter and milk until blended. Mix in cheese.
3. Mix in flour and baking powder. Pulse slowly, or you'll have flour all over your face, your arms and your kitchen cabinets.
4. On a floured smooth, clean surface, pull together dough and roll out to 1/4"-1/3" thickness (I made mine a litle thicker so they wouldn't be too hard). Cut out with cookie cutters or a small glass, or even just cut into cute shapes with a sharp knife.
5. Place treats on parchment lined baking sheet (or greased cookie sheet).
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
The recipe is so insanely easy, and I'll say it- I wanted to try them. And I did. I mean, come on! The ingredients are things most people devour in heinous amounts anyway.
Besides, if I think they're ok, then obviously the pup will snarfle them down. If you don't believe me, just try a half batch and tell me they aren't a decent little snack for your pup... or yourself. And hey, if your little guy sees you eating it and then you share, he'll feel extra special, right? :)