Saturday, November 29, 2008

Daring Bakers' November Challenge- Caramel Cake

Admittedly, I was hesitant about doing this challenge. I'm not a huge caramel fan and neither is Hubs. I debated sitting this one out, and then thought, "That's not the spirit of Daring Bakers. I joined to be challenged, and I will make this work." So I made the recipe into ever-familiar and much-loved cupcakes and hoped they would be eaten with minimal questioning from Hubs. (He's learned to ask what's in my cooking and baking ever since I snuck roasted butternut squash into his macaroni and cheese. lol)

To be completely honest, he wasn't given much of a chance. Between my mother-in-law eating them drenched in leftover caramel syrup, and me eating a cupcake every 20 minutes... they didn't last long.

Since the basis of this recipe is essentially sugar, I had to cut back on the sugar in the cake itself. I only used 1 cup, rather than 1 1/4 c. the recipe calls for. Another way to cut the sweetness overall was to add salt to the icing (well, mine turned out more like a glaze)- I added almost a full teaspoon. The difference between the icing without salt and with salt is so vast, my teeth are going to go on strike soon.

As you can probably tell, I got impatient during my attempt to photograph these little beauties. Such is the life of a delicious cupcake.

The recipe this month was courtesy of Shuna Fish Lyndon via Bay Area Bites, and was picked by our gracious hosts, Dolores, Alex of Blondie and Brownie, and Jenny. For tips on how to make this into a gluten-free treat, head to Natalie's blog to check out what she has to say. :) And I highly highly recommend checking out Shuna's tips on how to make the cake turn out nicely and not like a caramel brownie texture... which may actually not be a bad ideas now that I think about it...

22 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What pretty little cupcakes! Great job!

Cheers,

Rosa

Renee said...

Your cupcakes look yummy. Moist and delicious!

Raquel said...

there is just something about that topping that makes me want to snatch the cupcake from your site! yummy!

madcapcupcake said...

Your cupcakes looks delish - I must make cupcakes!! I also found these very sweet, but I still ate the cake :) Next time, I will reduce the sugar!

kat said...

I think the frosting looks so pretty as a glaze

Lauren said...

Yum! Your cupcakes look amazing!

Candice said...

Seems like a bunch of DBs didn't really like caramel, but loved this cake!

Even if you found your frosting to be too runny, I think it looks lovely. Yum!

Angela said...

I'm beginning to wish that I'd made cupcakes, now. Everyone's look so good, and yours are no exception!

Great job on the challenge :)

Diana said...

My husband and I laughed about the butternut squash. I'm fortunate that he'll eat pretty much anything, but once I dip mango in chili salt and didn't warn him before I gave it to him. It was such a shock now whenever I give him a bite of something while I'm cooking he checks to make sure there's no hidden ingredient! Your cupcakes look lovely.

Joeli said...

I always have the problem of wanting to eat and wanting to photograph. There's always a shout of "no I have to save one to photograph". Yours look great.

Eat4Fun said...

Very nice looking cupcakes! I think this recipe lends itself to cupcakes more readily than a regular cake. That's what I'll do next time around.

Amy said...

These look fantastic - no wonder they didn't last long at your house!

Anne said...

Do you know what ... as cupcakes they remind me of Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. They look awesome!

C said...

Umm caramel is like my favorite. Never fear, I can help out with any future caramel challenges k!

dolcigine said...

Looks great :-) compliments!!!

Em said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you made these! I dislike caramel and have made so many desserts this month I just couldn't bear even one more. Your results look great - congrats!!!

Elra said...

I am glad that you and your mother-in-law enjoy the cupcakes. Well done.

Bex said...

Ha it sounds like your mil really liked them!

Dolores said...

I'm so glad these worked better for you than you thought they would. It's amazing the impact the salt has in the frosting, isn't it?

Thanks for baking with us!

Vera said...

Tia, your cupcakes are lovely!

Joie de vivre said...

I've been reading lots of Daring Bakers challenge posts, they all look so great (yours included)

TeaLady said...

They look good to me. Yummy!